Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Karate and God

I studied Kajukenbo from the time I was six years old until I was about 17 or 18. I didn't go very far in the belt system. Most of my instructors didn't appreciate my sense of humor and I would rather have studied the kumite (fighting/sparring) rather than the kata (technically means ‘dance’, but comprises all the knowledge that advances you in the system). Both my older brothers made their black belts.

We used to pray before every lesson. I’ve said this prayer a thousand times, but not for about 20 years. As a child – who really didn’t want to be in karate class to begin with – I just mumbled the prayer to get on with it. But since I’ve grown in age and as a follower of Christ, the prayer takes on a new meaning.

We would kneel, sitting on our heels, with our hands clenched in fists and our knuckles on the ground next to our knees and pray:

“Almighty and Eternal God, Protector of all who put their trust in thee, accept the humble homage of our love and faith in thee, the one true God. Bless our efforts to preserve the integrity of our United States, a nation founded on Christian principles. Enlighten our rules, Guide our lawmakers, protect the sanctity of our homes. And bless our efforts in these exercises, whose sole purpose is developing our bodies, to keep others mindful of thy commandments. Give us perseverance in our actions, that we may use this as a means to keep closer to you, the one true God. In the name of thy beloved son, Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.”

(Written by Frank Ordonez in 1947, the Kajukenbo Prayer is recited at the beginning of most Kajukenbo classes. The Prayer shows kajukenbo's beginnings as a Christian and United States-based martial art.)

There is something strange and beautiful when this Western ideal of Jesus is mixed with an Eastern martial art. It never struck me until now.

I need to go back and train. Get back into shape and get my black belt. And be mindful of the prayer that begins the class -- to Whom it’s given.

Dale

1 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

You should do it, Dale!

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home